January 1st came and went and I didn't have any goals set for 2017. My belief is that while I love the magic in the air as people are setting goals and gearing up for a new year, January 1st is just another day on the calendar. This mindset frees me from thinking that I need to have my ish together on the first day of the year. (Too stressful, in my opinion.) I love to take my time and spend the first few weeks of January mulling over and working through what I want to focus on in the new year. I sat down with my journal this morning and these eight things somehow ended up on the pages. 2017 goals, here we go. (Surprisingly, drink more coffee didn't make the list... but maybe that's a given?)
1. Be more intentional / My mind doesn't naturally gravitate towards being intentional. It's got more of a, "Whenever it gets done, it gets done" bent. This year, I want to grow in being intentional with my schedule, with my friendships, with my business, and with my free time.
2. Be on my phone less / This goes for when I'm out of the house especially. I don't need to be checking Instagram when I'm with friends. Taking the time to be fully present with people (and when I'm by myself) is important to me. My phone is a helpful tool but it's also an easy distraction.
3. Grow and expand my mind / I have a goal to read more this year. I want to learn about things that interest me, like history, theology and literature, but also, I want to learn about things that I'm not inclined towards, like politics and economics. I never want to stop learning, especially when it comes to the world we live in.
4. Spend more time in God's presence / I firmly believe that God's presence is healing and restorative. He's the foundation upon which everything else in my life is built. I want to grow my relationship with Him this year by being intentional about spending time with Him.
5. Grow creatively / It can be so easy to get stuck in this "wedding photographer mindset" where I photograph weddings a certain way and nothing else. I want to challenge myself with new creative projects and take on jobs that scare me a little.
6. Start things before I'm ready / Sometimes you just need to push through and let what comes comes. I don't want to be afraid of what *could* happen but instead take a leap of faith. It could work out to be great, or the idea could fall flat. What matters is that I tried.
7. Work more efficiently and productively / This goes hand in hand with being intentional. I would love to create systems for myself this year that enable me to be more productive and not waste time during my workday. I love that I take weekends off from work, but I want to know that I worked my smartest and hardest during the week to earn that down-time.
8. Love others well / I really do love people, y'all. But it's not always easy to be purposeful and intentional with relationships. I want to love even when it's hard or doesn't make sense. I want to grow in being a good friend and speaking to people intentionally and individually.
I also have some business goals that are separate from these: book 20 weddings, get published (January 10th,, y'all!) and teach more just to name a few. I'm so excited for all that this year will hold. What are some of your 2017 goals?